Saturday, September 06, 2008

Wupatki National Monument

Here's a picture that I really like - taken at the Wupatki National Monument near Flagstaff, Arizona when I visited a few years ago. These ruins are from around the 11th century, remnants of the societies of the Ancient Pueblo Peoples, specifically the Sinagua. These names might not mean much to readers: American Indian history has never been mainstream, even though there are some startling historical sites which make you think and question.


____

Meanwhile, here's what's coming up soon: posts/essays on some of the travel I've done in the last year and a half. I'll write about my drive from Minnesota to Massachusetts; my trip to Chihuahua in May 2007; and to Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota in August 2007. The last two I have been composing in my mind for too long; now is the time (although life in general is very busy), to get them down on paper.

No comments: